C.O.D.E.S. stands for Competency, Opportunities, Driving Communication Forward, Engagement and Skill Acquisition. These are all the elements we want to focus on when supporting a person using an AAC system. The C.O.D.E.S. Framework consists of the following worksheets and supporting documents:
1. Quick look view table to report progress over time
2. Joint goal and planning sheets for the 5 areas of competency
3. Symbolised goal sheet for the individual user
4. External Strategies Questionnaire
5. Internal Psychosocial Questionnaire
In addition, we have included additional supporting documentation for ease of use of the framework. These include:
1. Cracking the Codes poster
4. Case examples
All these documents are provided in hard copy and as electronically.
The framework can be used by any facilitator and has been piloted with individual children and young people who have a severe communication impairment. This framework can be used in any education or Post 16 setting.